Mind over materials

How much value do you actually hold in your possessions?

I often find myself looking at the things I've bought and thinking about how hard I worked for them, and I wonder if it was actually worth it.

This past 8 months, every day I've written down how much I've spent each day, and calculated it at the end of every week and month. Tracking your spending this closely really puts into perspective the amount that you actually spend/waste and means you can't just think about something else whilst the cashier tells you the total cost, and hold your contactless card out at arm's length to cover up the little card machine screen...(definitely not speaking from experience...).

This sense of perspective, regarding how much you know is coming into your account and how much has wriggled its way out by the end of the month, puts your mind into a much more money conscious state, and makes you think twice about every lipstick you buy. And whilst I agree it isn't healthy to be constantly worrying about money, there are things that you can do to avoid this unnecessary spending and collecting:
- start a capsule wardrobe 
- simplify your skincare and makeup bag - you only have one face
- switch to audio books or ebooks
- rent films instead of buying them or going to the cinema
- meal plan to avoid wasting food
- invest in quality items that don't need replacing as quickly

This being said, if you are a natural hoarder, you might want to allow yourself one outlet - for me, it's books. I know that by summertime I'll have to ship them all back to England, but it's my one little collection that helps me feel at home here.

Now, with all of the extra cash you've saved from not buying that new Charlotte Tilbury lip shade, or that Topshop dress, you might have enough for that trip you've been wanting to go on, or that new restaurant you've been wanting to try; because I guarantee that the experience of either of these things will be much more rewarding and memorable than going back to work again tomorrow wearing your new expensive lipstick.
© Trials & Triumphs. Design by Fearne.